The Whiskey Mattimoe Mysteries

humorous whodunnits by Nina Wright . . . starring a Michigan realtor and her felonious Afghan hound

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Dogs and Angels

When I received this uplifting message in an email today, I knew I had to share it with dog lovers everywhere. Warning: It might make you cry....

This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced. I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.
Our 14 year old dog Abbey died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey. She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love,
Meredith.
We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it. Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.
Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed "To Meredith" in an unfamiliar hand. Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called "When a Pet Dies." Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven.
Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I am wherever there is love.
Love,
God

13 Comments:

  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! totally sweet.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, I cried.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    I reread this every once in a while. It always makes me cry--and feel better.

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am at the libray so i couldnt cry but my eyes are kinda red my daughter sleeps with my two dogs every night. As did i when i was younger,I really belive that Dogs are angels from heaven so im sure your dog is there.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    Dear Anon (October 1, 2010),

    Like you and the other two Anonymous commenters, I believe that dogs are angels who lift our lives. Thank you for your kind words! --Nina

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe dogs are angels. About 20 minutes ago I arrived back at my house after dropping my wife off at work. She and I are possibly expecting some very bad news later this afternoon, the kind that affects your life drastically.

    When I pulled the car into the driveway there was a gold lab standing on the neighbords lawn, about 8 feet from the car. I've seen him before because he belongs to the neighbor across the street.

    He came up to me while I was just opening the door and I scratched his ear. he went off sniffing around the front of my house for a minute or so while I put my things in the front door. Then I came back out and sat down on my front step and he came over and sat next to me, both of us looking out over the lawn and the street. So I scratched his ear some more and thanked him for keeping me company. He gave me a lick on the chin. A few seconds later, job apparently done, he got up and walked back across the street to his house.

    He tends to poke around the neighboorhood sometimes but this is the first he's come up to me that way. It was a pretty special thing for me.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    Dear Anonymous,

    Thanks for taking the time to comment on this post. I agree completely that dogs are angels. And your experience proves that they don't have to be our own dog to do the work of angels.

    You and your wife--and the neighbor's angel in the shape of a gold lab--are in my heart today. I wish you peace, love, and faith. Blessings always!

    Nina

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dogs are angels; God gives them to us at the right time in our lives and when their job is over he calls them home...my angel was called home today, his job was over and even tho' I miss him terribly, I know he's in a better place and it's okay to go on without him....he's chasing tennis balls in heaven!

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    I completely agree with you, Anon. We get the right dog at the right time. So sorry for your loss, but your boy is still running and playing--and you'll toss that ball for him again one day. Blessings and comfort to you!

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am 69 years old and love all dogs dearly. They love YOU no matter what happens. If I could take care of a hundred dogs, I would, but I cannot. I have a small chic myself and love him will all my heart and I know he loves me. He has that leaky heart valve problem now and I don't know how to help him. But, I pray that he can outlive me. He is 77 yers old now in dog years. I try to take care of him and he always trys to help take care of me. He is only one foot tall but appears to be eight foot tall to me. He loves everyone.

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment. I share your deep love of canines and your conviction that they are our true companions. Blessings, always, to you and your dog! ~Nina

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes.. I cried.. Still you can find good people in this world.. God bless you all !!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Nina Wright said…

    I still cry every time I read this. Thanks, Anonymous. Bless you!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home